Tewkesbury Bowling Club with records dating back to 1828 is the second oldest bowling club in Gloucestershire.
It was originally situated behind the Bell Hotel in the Church Street. The hotel itself was built to provide accommodation for visitors to the Abbey and it is said that the monks from the Abbey played on the original green. There is in fact a long assocation between our Abbeys and Bowling Greens as the Abbeys often had plenty of flat land available. Archers used these for practice and competition and bowling developed as a means of keeping the archers occupied between bouts. It would seem that besides the archers the monks were early devotees of the game.
In 1975 when the land behind the Bell was developed for housing our club moved to it’s current position in Gander Lane - an enviable location on the edge of town with it’s immediate backdrop of the Abbey and the Vineyards beyond. A new clubhouse was built and the area surrounding the green enhanced. It was here in 1978 we celebrated our 150th anniversary
Our club badge was the Emblem of the original Tewkesbury Borough Council. This was then incorporated in a new Coat of Arms presented by Sir George Dowty to Tewkesbury Borough Council on the occasion of his being created an Honorary Freeman of the Borough of Tewkesbury, which he presented on 24th May 1964.
In the chief of the shield, the Castle (our badge) the Councils emblem from the Corporate Seal and the Mayors chain appears between Red and White roses in reference to the Battle of Tewkesbury 1471